NEW OFFICERS WILL BE ORDAINED & INSTALLED SUNDAY, MAY 12th
One of the unique aspects of the Presbyterian denomination is that we ordain Elders and Deacons for ministry. Ruling Elders and Deacons are spiritual leaders of the congregation and work with the pastors (Teaching Elders) to ‘shepherd the flock.’ Ruling Elders serve a governance function – they oversee the entire life of the congregation. The Session asks questions such as: Is the congregation growing and deepening in faith?
- Where do we see the fruits of the Spirit exhibited in members’ lives and in the life of the congregation as a whole?
- Is our budget consistent with the priorities of the mission and vision statements?
- Do our building and personnel policies reflect ‘best practices’ along with a Christian perspective?
Deacons at Lewinsville Church are also Stephen Ministers. Stephen Ministry is one-on-one Christian care-giving. Stephen Ministers walk alongside others in and beyond the congregation, providing Christian companionship and offer support in prayer. The Deacon ministry is one of compassion and comfort. Deacons are those in our midst who naturally and quietly serve those in need.
On Sunday, May 12, the congregation will ordain and install new Ruling Elders and Deacons. Ruling Elders to be ordained and installed are Pattie Gunter and Jamie Raaum. Mary Frase and Roy Mitchell have already been ordained as Ruling Elders and will be installed at this time. Deacons to be ordained and installed are David Jessee, Janet Kohlenberger and Rick Neldon. Anne Swartz has already been ordained as a Deacon and will be installed at this time. David, Janet, Rick and Anne will also be commissioned as Stephen Ministers.
Plan to join us for worship on Sunday, May 12 as we ordain and install these spiritual leaders of the congregation. Both Ruling Elders and Deacons will be installed at both worship services.
CHRISTCARE POTLUCK SUPPER - May 19th
On Sunday, May 19 from 5:00 -7:00 p.m., the ChristCare ministry of Lewinsville will hold its biennial potluck gathering in the Lewinsville Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall.
Last names beginning A-M, please bring a side dish or salad to share; Last names beginning N-Z, please bring a dessert to share.
Please join us for an evening of food, fellowship, Biblical equipping, and worship. All members of ChristCare groups, former members, and anyone interested in learning more about ChristCare are encouraged to attend. The theme for this year is "The Spirit of ChristCare." The ChristCare ministry will provide the main course and drinks. Attendees are asked to bring a side dish/salad or dessert to share. The four elements of ChristCare will guide our evening: Biblical equipping, sharing of joys and concerns (sharing is always optional and in confidence; no one is required to share), mission, and worship/prayer. Babysitting will be available.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR THIS EVENT ONLINE. Or contact Jim Tenney at (703) 893-6860 or email@example.com. Please notify Jim by May 5 if babysitting is needed.
Pentecost Sunday is May 19th
Do you read in a language other than English? Would you be willing to be one of several readers on Pentecost Sunday, May 19? During Sunday morning worship we’ll hear the story of Pentecost read in many different languages. The readings will happen simultaneously, just like that first Pentecost we read about in Acts 2. To volunteer to read, or to find out more, please contact Sandy Albrecht in the Church Office.
Also, on Sunday, May 19, we will receive the Pentecost Offering during worship, one of four special offerings of the PC(USA). Look for the special offering envelopes in the pew racks and give as God has called you to give. The Pentecost Offering is unique in that congregations direct 40 percent of what they receive for ministries which benefit children at risk. This 40 percent stays in our local community and will go to support Bethany House of Northern Virginia. Bethany House was organized to help women and their children who have suffered from domestic violence. The remaining 60 percent supports child advocacy (10 percent), youth ministry (25 percent), and Young Adult Volunteer opportunities (25 percent) at the national and international levels.
ADULT CLUB LUNCHEON - May 19th
We will be going to the Peking Imperial Restaurant in McLean Sunday, May 19, 12:30pm (6827 Redmond Drive, McLean, around the corner from Giant Food). Y’all Come! Please call the Mertz’s for reservations at 703 356-9251.
May 6, 2013